Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 2 - Shenda Normal Middle School

I taught my first class today. I was nervous for most of the day. However, when I walked into the classroom that faded away. The students here are so nice and the are completely fascinated with their new foreign teachers. I taught a Senior 1 class today which is the equivalent of the 9th grade. The students were overall pretty well behave. I introduced myself to the class then I allowed the class to introduce themselves to me. They all got the opportunity to tell me what they would like to talk about or learn in English class this year. Alot of them wanted to talk about basketball and music. One student even said Usher was his idol. It was pretty funny. Another student said she loved fashion and fashion shows. She is my kind of girl. I learned about a Korean pop band that alot of girls are into here. The name escapes me right now but I want to say it was KQX. That is probably wrong. Anyway, I plan on researching that band. I would like to put them in my lesson about music genres. I told the students I was born in Jamaica and the all were really excited. Then they started to clap. So Jamaica in Chinese is mai jiā. Pretty cool..huh? I couldn't pronounce it correctly and the students helped me out big time. I asked the students if they had any questions for me. They had every question under the sun. They asked if I had a boyfriend and if I could bring him to class. LOL! That was pretty funny. Another question was about the olympics. I told them that I enjoyed the opening ceremony and they began clapping again. It was so cute. One student went on to ask me about Tibet. I told her that is not something we can discuss. I totally think she is trying to get me in trouble. LOL! Just joking. However, I admire her audacity. The quasi-class clown asked my age and my salary. I told the students that I don't plan on discussing my salary but if someone can guess my age; I will bring them a prize during the next class. Overall, the class was pretty fun.
I have so much more to write about but I really should get to bed. Stay tuned for additional info.

No comments: